Tuesday, July 15, 2014

My Aunt Mabel

The doll I have begun working on is from a 1975 pattern I sent away for. It was made it for a doll convention. It's been waiting for me for thirty nine years. Here is the pattern leaflet. Today I finished cutting out arms, legs body and head. I'm calling her My Aunt Mabel, but this doll' s name is actually Mae Belle. Our story begins before Mae Bell's time. Mabel Anne Swensen was the second of twelve children born on a small farm in Marysville, Minnisota. It was a loving home, and though they weren't wealthy, there was always good food on the table and their needs if not all their wants were met. The oldest daughter had married and moved away to North Carolina. Mabel was next in line to March down the aisle, but she had other plans. It was just past her seventeenth birthday and she had heard of a nursing program for unmarried girls. Room and board would be provided while on the job training was undertaken. She broached the subject to her father,the more lenient of the parental duo, and he thought for a long while before he owned he must discuss with Mama. Mama was not keen on the idea at all, but after exchanging long letters with the matron in charge, permission was given. Mabel was going to Minneapolis, and she was going to be a nurse!

No comments:

Post a Comment